The Sacrifice Of Abraham
Imam W.D. Muhammad
41. (Also mention in the Book (the story of) Abraham: He was a man of Truth, a prophet.
42. Behold, he said to his father: "O my father! why worship that which heareth not and seeth not, and can profit thee nothing?
43. "O my father! to me hath come knowledge which hath not reached thee: so follow me: I will guide thee to a way that is even and straight.
44. "O my father! serve not Satan: for Satan is a rebel against ((Allah)) Most Gracious.
45. "O my father! I fear lest a Penalty afflict thee from ((Allah)) Most Gracious, so that thou become to Satan a friend."
46. (The father) replied: "Dost thou hate my gods, O Abraham? If thou forbear not, I will indeed stone thee: Now get away from me for a good long while!"
47. Abraham said: "Peace be on thee: I will pray to my Lord for thy forgiveness: for He is to me Most Gracious.
48. "And I will turn away from you (all) and from those whom ye invoke besides Allah. I will call on my Lord: perhaps, by my prayer to my Lord, I shall be not unblest."
49. When he had turned away from them and from those whom they worshipped besides Allah, We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and each one of them We made a prophet.
50. And We bestowed of Our Mercy on them, and We granted them lofty honour on the tongue of truth.
Holy Quran, Yusuf Ali Translation - Sura 19, Verses 41-50
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful; Peace and Blessings upon His Servant and His Messenger, Muhammad, forever. Amen.
There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
My dear brothers and sisters,
The Muslim community at large in the West is becoming stronger in its faith. Today we can identify with the society of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and we can identify with the society of Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be upon him). Ibrahim who was called Abraham by the Western people was also a Messenger of Allah. He began his growth into true faith under the rule of his father who was a mighty, rich and powerful man. Abraham did not allow anything to keep him back from true faith. Allah showed him the right way and, by his own searching, he earned the reward of Allah's guidance. Allah showed the most powerful message in creation: that God is one God alone and that God is not the creation.
The things that people worship other than God are themselves servants of Allah. Allah is the only one that gives and does not need. When Abraham saw this great truth, he openly confessed that there is no god but Allah and that nothing else is worthy of worship. Although his father became upset because he would not worship the gods of his people, Abraham could not turn from his way. He had to declare himself a worshipper of the one true God. Abraham's father threatened to stone him, but Abrahim was not afraid. He accepted to be exiled from the society of his father and he went out alone with his family and his possessions. He did not remain alone for long because Allah blessed him with people who had the hearts and the minds to see the light of truth.
In the world today the believers in truth and righteousness are like children that are "Abraham" and the world is like the father of Abraham. There are many people in this world who see true worship as a threat to their gods. Their gods represent prosperity and security to them and they protect their way of life, their wealth and their belief. The way of life of a society is protected by the worship of its gods.
When a righteous servant of God comes up with a worship that is pure and that does not allow corruption, strong leaders who rile in the society become upset. They want to force you to continue to worship their many gods that permit corruption and confusion. The one God does not permit corruption and confusion. In order to protect their rule of corruption and confusion, they want to stamp out the belief and worship of the one God who created the heavens and earth.
Like Abraham, the Muslims in the West are like children who are beginning fresh in the path of Allah and the message that Prophet Muhammad received (peace and blessings be upon him). We are struggling to bring in a healthy society where there has been corruption. Because we are fighting against falsehood and unrighteousness we have many enemies everywhere. Many times the enemy is in your own home or it may be in your own self. Let us struggle against every enemy to keep the pure faith and prove ourselves worthy by being willing to make a sacrifice like the sacrifice that Abraham made. You must be willing to come out from the protection and comfort of the home that your worldly "father" provided for you and sacrifice those things if necessary.
If you are threatened with physical harm for maintaining and unyielding belief in the one God, be as strong as Abraham. Even if your opposers are the leaders of the land respect them in their positions. If your opposers are your fathers and mothers respect them in their positions. If your opponents are your so-called friends who have walked with you and who have supported you in your life, respect them in that position - but be like Abraham and let them know that your heart and mind are only for Allah, the One and Only God. Let them know that you are not going to end your struggle for truth.